April 4, 2014
The first step was choosing a cake flavor that would go well with Fernet Branca's complex & strong flavor. I considered lemon but decided to go with a simple banana cake (no spices just a hint of vanilla) since we had some very ripe ones on hand. Then we mixed up a traditional cream cheese frosting & just kept adding fernet until we got it just right. We ended up using 4 TBSP for a frosting made with one 8 oz package of cream cheese, enough for a 9" x 13" sheet cake. A delicious combination!
November 10, 2013
November 1, 2013
Zoya Maria Louisa is a warm gold flakie polish that I decided to try out alone since it's so dense. Shown here at two very easily applied coats, especially for a flakie! I think it looks fantastic on it's own since it's so very reflective & will take on a hint of whatever color you're wearing. I think it will look fantastic paired with pretty soft white polish or maybe a red for Christmas. Definitely my favorite from this collection & a must have for any flakie lover.
My friends & I decided on a Ghostbuster theme this year for Halloween. My friend Drew made patches for the jumpsuits & the rest of the guys costumes came from things we already had or that could be picked up inexpensively at Harbor Freight. My friend Melanie transformed her normally stylish self into Gozer the Gozerian & I turned into Zuul for the evening. Lots of fun & Zoya Maria Luisa looked great with outfit!
This polish was sent to me for review. All opinions are my own & were not influenced by Zoya! For more information you can read my disclosure policy.
October 9, 2013
October 5, 2013
Some friends of mine decided to make a cupcake car for Maker Faire! Much of the work took place in my workshop so I have lots of photos. Congratulations Angela, Scott, Andrew, & everyone else who helped make the cupcake a reality!
May 31, 2013
|Drew's Wooden Penrose Puzzle Coasters!|
|Andrew's Sterling Silver Ring With Retro Reflective Thread!|
|White Concrete Lazy Susan!|
October 28, 2009
Are you dressing up yourself? Your pets? Your children? I want pictures of any costumes that you thought turned out great.
Decorating your house for trick or treaters?
If you want to dress up, but are stuck for ideas, Beauty Newbie has tons of MAC Halloween facecharts. I did a simplified version of the very last one a couple of years ago and I really loved the effect. Plus it only took about 10 minutes and was easy to maintain throughout the day.
I also had the third annual pumpkin carving party at my house over the weekend. The results were awesome. I wasn't feeling inspired, but Ashley told me she would dump the rotten pumpkin guts on me if I didn't carve one. (One of Ashley's pumpkins was really gross and smelly for some reason.) So I just did the fastest thing I could think of. I still think he is cute though.
My awesome boyfriend Will is a pumpkin carving master! These are all his.
He used power tools to help create last years Parasite Pumpkin!
And this year he went all out and made a pumpkin that shoots blood out of it's head! (it has a fountain pump)
Thanks for reading ladies and please send me photos of your pumpkins and costumes! They make me happy!
October 9, 2009
1. Weights - I bought these a couple of years ago from Target and never use them. I think I get pretty good excercise lifting and shelving books all day though.
2. Clock - It goes in my kitchen.
3.Tote bag - Another Target purchase
4. Pepsi - I always have pepsi!
5. Glass Hand - This is one of my favorite items. It's from a store called Pryde's in Kansas City. They sell Kitchen and Home Goods. We think it's a holder for your rings when you're doing the dishes.
6. Globe - This came from an awesome antique store in Kansas City. There were at least 4 floors. It took us a long time to get through it and I know there was still a lot of stuff to see.
7. Jacket - One of my favorite jackets. And it also came from Target!-Ashley
October 5, 2009
We've purchased things every month since then and are continually amazed by the super nice quality and unique styling. Our only wish is that their pants and skirts came in larger sizes! Now all three Brooks sisters look forward to this sale with baited breath. Yes there are 3 of us, April, Alisa & Ashley! We just haven't been able to get Alisa to start wearing nail polish. Yet.
Here are just a few of our favorite items! We could spend a few days taking pictures of all of the amazing things we've gotten. Let us know if you want to see more! And check out the sale which starts tonight at midnight PST. They will have 11 items priced between $5.99 & $8.99. The sale is not advertised on the website. Just go to the sale section and sort by price with lowest price first and you will find the super specials. Check out the rest of the site as well!
Thanks for reading.
This red coat was the first purchase. I love it a lot.
It's so well made and it only cost me $11 including shipping!
We call these the Art Deco shirts.
April & I wearing our matching dresses, which we would never do in real life. These dresses have pockets! Yay!
Puff sleeves! Lots of Tulle's shirts have them and we think they are very flattering.
The gingham shirt came in black and green and of course I got both colors.
I love them both a lot and have already worn them quite a bit.
April is wearing her favorite Tulle purchase in this one. Crazy dress! We think it looks super expensive.
October 4, 2009
Sorry it took us so long to get this post done. We're busy girls. We were tagged to do a "10 random facts about us" post by Lacquer Lane and Nivipa.
Since there's two of us we're going to just do 5 each.
1. I love my dog Wally-Thor (a.k.a. Wally, Wobbles, & Wobblers) . I found him on the street. He had a rope tied around his neck, no fur on his back half and he had been abused. I didn't even think I liked dogs and now he is my favorite thing in the whole world!
Wally a few days after I found him.
And now he's the happiest dog!
2. I am in the process of starting my own concrete design business. Here's a picture of me mixing concrete. You can check out our stuff here.
3. I'm 6' tall but still love to wear heels. Here's my current favorite pair.
4. I have arranged my closet with all bottoms (pants, skirts, dresses, jeans) on one side and tops on the other. Everyday I put on the first bottom and then start trying on the first top. Now of course, not every shirt goes with every top; I go through 10 shirts and if none will work, I move on to the next bottom in the queue. I don't have to think about what I want to wear very hard with this method. I also cycle through all of my clothes frequently which saves me from having a bunch of unworn items just hanging around. If you don't like to decide what to wear in the morning or you always have unused clothes in your closet, give it a try!
5. I've always been a picky eater. I have a issue with textures. I've never eaten seafood and probably never will. I'm much better now at trying stuff than I used to be, but still not adventurous. Everybody thinks I'm strange because I mutilate my eggs when I cook them. I have to chop them up a lot and I like them browned. I'll never be able to go to a restaurant and order scrambled eggs.
6. I am a huge fan of soccer. Especially watching the English Premiership. April and I went to the World Cup in 2006. We spent two weeks in Rome and two weeks in Germany where the world cup was taking place. Two of my favorite teams are Manchester United and the Portuguese National Team. It makes me really sad because I don't get to watch it much anymore since I don't have cable and I work a lot. I try to follow it online as much as possible though.
7. Jewelry and shoes are two of my favorite items. If I had lots of money I would have tons! I would like to start making jewelry in the future. I have lots of ideas for designs.
8. Purchasing a car has never been a major priority for me so far. I live just a few minutes from where I work, so I'm able to walk and ride the bus just about everywhere. And I love it. I would like to live in a city that has better public transportation though. I recently acquired a bike, and I'm going to start riding it to work.
April & Ashley
9 & 10. This one applies to the both of us.
We love Jif Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter. It's probably not a stretch to say that it's kept both of us alive over the years since we're such picky eaters. We even took a jar with us to Europe!